Robinson Reserve - Akron, Ohio

The Robinson Mansion located at 715 E. Buchtel Ave., Akron, Ohio sits on a 2.60 acre property and is presently listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1991.  The site has a 12,780 square foot brick 2 ½ story main building with a full basement and 5,400 square foot masonry 1 ½ story carriage house.  Both structures date to 1906 and are classified Tudor (Jacobean) Revival in style.  

The current owner plans to rehabilitate the property into a rental and elderly assisted living to be called The Robinson Reserve. The intent with the main house is to use the ground floor as a common public space and develop the second floor into eight elderly housing units.  The third floor is to be developed into intern housing.  Long range planning is to develop a portion of the basement into physical therapy functions for the tenants.

Presently the carriage house is to be developed into loft rental units and equipment storage along with maintenance storage and repair shop use.

ARRC project involvement includes:

  • Site visit and field measuring
  • Creation of AutoCAD floor plans, elevations, and sections of the existing facility
  • Contact with the Ohio Building Code review for a building of this type and proposed use
  • Preparation of a schematic design floor plan of the proposed renovation
  • Conduct dialogs with the state preservation office for the application of both the State and Federal Tax Credits
  • Spearhead application process for the State and Federal Tax Credits 
  • Conduct a preliminary design review with the Summit County Building Department and maintain a dialog through design development
Rear of the main house
Front of the carriage house